5v Supply Voltage?

Coldwilson

Hi chaps,

I have the DC power supply module and I know this can be used for powering the other boards.  I have a stack with the DC board, the Master, two stepper.  I also have most of your other boards.  Powering this and the Stepper motors are 4 x 3.7v LiPo batteries so I use this in the Stepper boards and in the DC brick to feed the onboard power that converts to 5v.

Is there a way I can get a 5v supply from any of this to power a beagleboard or Raspberry Pi?  It needs to be no greater than 5v to prevent voltage overload.  Given that the DC board has done the conversion I'm guessing it's accessible from somewhere.  I think these controllers only use 1-2 watts.

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

I'm thinking of doing the same thing if I can lay my hands on a raspberry and some bricks, but... If you connect the raspberry to a master brick via usb wouldn't you be powering the stack directly from the power supply as well as indirectly from the power supply to the raspberry to the master brick. Wouldn't that cause problems?

Would a possible solution be to disconnect the power wire from the usb cable?

I'm thinking of doing the same thing if I can lay my hands on a raspberry and some bricks, but... If you connect the raspberry to a master brick via usb wouldn't you be powering the stack directly from the power supply as well as indirectly from the power supply to the raspberry to the master brick. Wouldn't that cause problems?

Would a possible solution be to disconnect the power wire from the usb cable?

If you have a stack powered over the power supply brick and you have USB plugged into the master at the same time, the stack will use the supply with the highest voltage (which will probably always be the power supply brick).

With other words: There is no problem doing that, you don't have to cut the power wire of the USB cable.

Hi Borg, perhaps you missed my previous question, but it would be nice to have an answer to it. I also thought of a new one.

- If I order a power supply now (they're out of stock) will I eventually get the new one with the 5v connector or will I have to solder it?

- Will the power supply brick be able to function as a standalone 5v supply if there are no other bricks attached to it?

TIA

Hi Xenna,

everyone who orders now a powersupply will in fact get the new model.

We haven't changed the image in the shop since we have no suiteable product to take a picture currently. When we get the new ones from our manufacturer we will change it.

Regarding the power supply, you can use in standalone applications. It does not have to be switched on by the master brick or something else.

Bastian