LCD20x4 define & write special character using MQTT

rwblinn

Thanks for reply.

For MQTT

Looked at source brick-mqtt-proxy.py and noticed work in progress (see code snippet). So will wait for an updated brick-mqtt-proxy.

Any timelines when special chars will be supported?

# FIXME: get_custom_character and get_default_text need special handling
class BrickletLCD20x4Proxy(DeviceProxy):
GETTER_SPECS = [
]
SETTER_SPECS = [
(set_custom_character', 'custom_character/set', ['index', 'character']),
]

It's not work in progress. You can use it without the getter. The documentation for the setter is missing by accident. I'll fix that.

As the documentation for the set_custom_character function says, you need to provide the custom character shape as a bitmask. The documentation has an example for a capital H.

Here's setting the first custom character (index 0) to an arrow-up shape:

mosquitto_pub -t tinkerforge/bricklet/lcd_20x4/SCD32/custom_character/set -m '{"index":0, "character":[4,14,21,4,4,4,4,4]}'

Now to write this custom character (index 0) to the display you need to write a character with byte representation 8. This can be done with the Unicode escape sequence \u0008 in JSON:

mosquitto_pub -t tinkerforge/bricklet/lcd_20x4/SCD32/write_line/set -m '{"line":0, "position":0, "text":"\u0008"}'

I'll add to my TODO list to add a custom character example to the API bindings.

Thanks a lot for the information and swift reply.

Have integrated this into a Node-RED Flow and its working fine.

For those interested in Node-RED, look up my website http://www.rwblinn.de > IoT > Node-RED > Category TinkerForge.

One of the Node-RED flows uses the Bricklets LCD20x4, Temperature, Humidity, Barometer. Here some screenshots:

nodered-tf-mqtt-lcd20x4-weather-ui-flow.png

nodered-tf-mqtt-lcd20x4-weather-ui-dashboard.png

nodered-tf-mqtt-lcd20x4-weather-ui-prototype.png