Sign in to follow this  
PeterACox

Outdoor Weather Station - Wind Direction sensor

Does the Outdoor Weather Station Wind Direction Sensor need to be calibrated to account for the orientation of the hardware when it has been installed?

The sensor operates mechanical and the station does not have any facility to calibrate for non-horizontal orientation, so you must install the station as horizontal as possible. On top of the rain fall sensor, there is a small bubble level that can help you orient the station.

In case you mean the orientation of the cardinal directions: The Outdoor Weather Bricklet does not support remapping the directions (i.e. north, east, south, west -> east, south, west, north).

Thanks rtrbt for your replies.  I am sorry, I didn't make my question clear enough. 

I was asking whether the sensor has the ability to measure the true cardinal direction (and therefore must have an inbuilt compass or some sort) or whether I have to make a correction in my data collection program to take account of the installed orientation of the hardware.

Hi,

You have to correct this in your program, the outdoor weather station can't correct this itself.