Communication between RS232 Bricklet 2.0 and Arduino

yvo

Dear list

I have to send messages from the Tinkerforge environment to an Arduino-board. In this specific case only one-way from TF to Arduino.

Question:

• Is my assumption correct, that the RS232 Bricklet 2.0 is able to send by using the TTL communication to the Arduino-board?

Based on the documentation of the Serial communication of Arduino, it seems possible to me.

Looking forward to any suggestions, opinions or corrections.

Best regards,

Yvo

This depends on your Arduino:

Serial communication on pins TX/RX uses TTL logic levels (5V or 3.3V depending on the board).

Our Bricklet supports 3.3V TTL levels on the pin header and RS232 signal levels on the D-Sub 9 connector (note that those are differential signals, so for example +12V and -12V).

The communication should work if you use an Arduino with a 3.3V TTL level. Those are typically the ones that have an ARM based micro controller (for example the MKR family), not the AVR based ones (like the Uno etc.)

Oh, thank you very much for the quick replay and the hint about the ARM-based micro controller:

Am 14.3.2023 um 09:39 schrieb rtrbt:

... an Arduino with a 3.3V TTL level. Those are typically the ones that have an ARM based micro controller (for example the MKR family)

Looks like the Arduino Entwicklerboard Nano RP2040 Connect mit Pinleisten should work. The family of the processor is defined as ARM.

I will try and let the forum know as soon as I have a result.