[Solved] Wifi master extension won't associate

mikew

Hi,

I'm trying to get a very basic stack working over wifi.  So far it is just the master brick, the wifi-extension, and a temperature bricklet.  I've connected the stack to my laptop and can configure the wifi extension for a DHCP client, entering in the appropriate SSID and passphrase, but the green light for associating just keeps blinking.  I've tried it powered from my laptop via USB and from a 2A 5W wall wart to rule out a power issue, but it continues to sit in the associating state.  I've even removed the bricklet, but have the same issue.  How do I troubleshoot this issue to see where the problem lies?  I'm testing within ~10 feet of my access point.

The wifi extension is on top of the master brick.  If I set it to AP mode with a static IP address, the green LED continues to blink and I do not see the SSID being broadcast.  If I use the API to poll the master.get_wifi_status and the return values are:  WifiStatus(mac_address=(0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0), bssid=(0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0), channel=0, rssi=0, ip=(0, 0, 0, 0), subnet_mask=(0, 0, 0, 0), gateway=(0, 0, 0, 0), rx_count=0, tx_count=0, state=2).

Thanks,

Mike

Hi mikew,

if you connect your stack via USB, it won't connect via WiFi. So, you must do the setup of your WiFi extension while the stack is connected via USB. After the setup, you must disconnect USB. Then you should be able to connect via WiFi.

Does it work then?

If no, do you use a hidden SSID? If yes, try to connect with a visible (broadcasted) SSID.

Hi Equinox,

Thank you for the clarifciation about powering it while connected to my PC as  that helped me narrow down the issue.  As I was testing, I found out that it did not like the hyphen character my original SSID name.  The only restriction I found on the SSID in the documentation was "The SSID can be 32 ASCII characters long (quotation mark is not allowed)". 

Thanks,

Mike