How to get the HAT Brick UID without brick viewer

learn2learn

Hello everyone,

I have a Raspberry Pi Model 4B on a Turtlebot3 Burger and I want to add a HAT brick on it. The idea is to have a modular robot on which I can easily change the sensors and so I chose to add a HAT brick with its 8 connectors. I bought the HAT Brick and installed it on my raspberry but I got some troubles with the sofware part.

The problem is that I have a Ubuntu server 20.04 OS (with ROS) on my raspberry so I can't use the Brick Viewer because there is no display available. So I'm looking for an other way (without display, only terminal) to get this information. With this, I should be able to get sensors data with Python (If you have a Python example on how to get the sensor data I will also take it)

Ps: brickd and brickv are installed

Thank you for your help!

@Backdraft007 Thank you for your answer!

I tried that but when I launch brick viewer on my computer I got the following error message:

The following error is fatal. Exiting now.

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/share/brickv/main.py", line 377, in main
    from brickv.mainwindow import MainWindow
  File "/usr/share/brickv/mainwindow.py", line 42, in <module>
    from brickv.plugin_system.plugin_manager import PluginManager
  File "/usr/share/brickv/plugin_system/plugin_manager.py", line 29, in <module>
    from brickv.plugin_system.plugins import device_classes
  File "/usr/share/brickv/plugin_system/plugins/__init__.py", line 109, in <module>
    from brickv.plugin_system.plugins.red import device_class as red
  File "/usr/share/brickv/plugin_system/plugins/red/__init__.py", line 24, in <module>
    from brickv.plugin_system.plugins.red.red import RED
  File "/usr/share/brickv/plugin_system/plugins/red/red.py", line 36, in <module>
    from brickv.plugin_system.plugins.red.ui_red import Ui_RED
  File "/usr/share/brickv/plugin_system/plugins/red/ui_red.py", line 74, in <module>
    from brickv.plugin_system.plugins.red.red_tab_console import REDTabConsole
  File "/usr/share/brickv/plugin_system/plugins/red/red_tab_console.py", line 33, in <module>
    from brickv.samba import get_serial_ports
  File "/usr/share/brickv/samba.py", line 30, in <module>
    import serial.tools.list_ports
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'serial.tools'

However I checked and the serial and pyserial librairies are installed on my python3

PS: the method gave by @rtrbt works perfectly I can know receive data from my sensors 😄