integration of TinkerForge into HomeAssistant - Architecture questions...

Hi,

in the past (a few years ago), I've tried to create some smaller project with Tinkerforge - but honestly speaking, I never really finished them.
I tried to wirte some software in C# - but in the end, it did work - but never as stable as it was required for the use case - so I quit the projects and realized them with other components and hardware.

Since then, my hardware was just laying around and collected dust...

Now, I've decided to start again - but with a different approach...

I am using HomeAssistant for getting information about our solar-production and energy usage - have my ev charging-station implemented and some other "smarthome" components... so now, I am thinking to create another project with my current tinkerforge hardware and integrate this into homeassistant, too.

I already learned that there are some MQTT Bindings available - And, I could use MQTT in HomeAssistant...
But, there are some questions left about the best "approach"...

Now, I am struggling a bit with the decission, how to realize this project...

for now, I have created a debian 11 lxc container in Proxmox - running brickd...
A first python script, connecting to one of my bricks and barometer bricklet over tcp-ip (wifi 2.0 extension) seems to work so far.

I have also installed the MQTT Bindings so far:

> systemctl --type=service
  UNIT                                 LOAD   ACTIVE SUB     DESCRIPTION
  brickd.service                       loaded active running Brick Daemon
  tinkerforge_mqtt.service             loaded active running Tinkerforge MQTT API Bindings

Now I am struggling a bit...
Honesty speaking, I don't really see the correct approach right now...

As far as I could get, the MQTT Bindings are based on the Python bindings.
The tinkerforge_mqtt which comes with the bindings is "just" a python script, which does - more or less collect data from the bricklets - and send it to an mqtt broker.
Also, it listens to topics from the broker and send this to the brick / Bricklets...

Correct so far?
In this case, it is pretty much what I had first in mind - I need to write a python script that reads the data - and send it to the Broker...

So... how can I use the MQTT Bindings now?
I have found the following under /etc

tinkerforge_mqtt.cmdline

sorry - if this may sound dumb... but honestly speaking the last time I had the Tinkerforge stuff in my hands was somewhere in 2016...

ok, I think, I got it somehow... but unfortunately, my tests aren't running.

I am trying to do the follwing:

/usr/local/bin# >python3 tinkerforge_mqtt --ipcon-host 123.456.78.9 --ipcon-port 4215 --broker-host 123.456.78.10 --broker-port 1883 --broker-username myusername --broker-password mypassword_1120 --debug --show-payload --init-file tinkerforge_mqtt_test.txt

I am pretty sure that my credentials are correct in the command, but the response from the Broker is:

MQTT bindings: Connected to MQTT broker at 123.456.78.10:1883
paho.mqtt.client: Sending CONNECT (u1, p1, wr0, wq0, wf1, c1, k60) client_id=b''
phao.mqtt.client: Received CONNACK (0,5)
MQTT bindings: Failed to connect to mqtt broker: Connection Refused: not authorised.

What I've also noticed:
When I hit the arrow-up key to bring the command back, the password that has been given in the arguments is missing some characters or has some irregular chars which I haven't typed in earlier...

I can connect to the broker with these credentials without any issues with MQTT Explorer... so, any idea what could be wrong here?

Just for reference:
That's the content of my tinkerforge_mqtt_test.txt

{
    "tinkerforge/request/barometer_bricklet/UID/get_air_pressure": {"register": true},
    "tinkerforge/request/barometer_bricklet/UID/set_air_pressure_callback_period": {"period": 1000},

"tinkerforge/request/barometer_bricklet/UID/get_altitude": {"register": true},
    "tinkerforge/request/barometer_bricklet/UID/set_altitude_callback_period": {"period": 1000},

"tinkerforge/callback/barometer_bricklet/UID/air_pressure": "",
    "tinkerforge/callback/barometer_bricklet/UID/altitude": ""
}

some additions to the above...

When I don't get the "Connection refused" - I am getting other error messages from the command:
It seems, that the script does throw the arguments somehow together...

This was the command I've typed:

> python3 /usr/local/bin/tinkerforge_mqtt --ipcon-host 192.168.52.55 --ipcon-port 4215 --broker-host 192.168.52.248 --broker-port 1883 --broker-username admin --broker-password <password> --broker-tls-insecure --debug --show-payload --init-file barometer_test.txt

This is the error I am getting:

I don't know, where this is comming from... but when I press the arrow-up key to get the command, it has changed and (as mentioned above) mixes arguments together.
Could this be a case, because my password does contain special characters like _ ! and ?

tinkerforge_mqtt: error: unrecognized arguments: /usr/local/bin/tinkerforge_mqtt /usr/local/bin/tinkerforge_mqtt --h?!

I think, somehow the script can't handle " !! " which is part of my broker-password.
This will always be replaced by one of the previous commands I've entered - for example, it will be replaced with "nano /usr/local/bin/tinkerforge_mqtt....

that was it.
After changing the password on my broker - it did work...

So, the tinkerforge_mqtt can't handle an --broker-password argument with !! in it

bearbeitet von CChris

vor 1 Minute schrieb photron:

Nothing to do with our MQTT bindings. The shell you run the command in replaces !! with the previous command. You need escape !! like this:

--broker-password 'mypassword!!'

yeah, sorry - I already figured this out :D
It was a bit strange, because I had somehow in mind that using the password did work in other cases without "escaping" it ... *head on table*

ok, I have made some first basic steps... this is still a very very basic python script for testing...

# connection parameter
HOST = "192.168.52.55"
PORT = 4215

# these needs to be used dynamically later...
# right now, they are only for testing
BARO_1_UID = "vNB"
BARO_2_UID = "vHa"

from tinkerforge.ip_connection import IPConnection
from tinkerforge.bricklet_barometer import BrickletBarometer

def cb_enumerate(uid, connected_uid, position, hardware_version, firmware_version, devic>
# removed output for shorter code here

def cb_air_pressure(air_pressure):
    # here, I would like to output from which bricklet the information came
	# since we do have two barometers connected, the output should somehow include the uid of the bricklet...?
    print("Air Pressure:         " + str(air_pressure/1000.0) +  " hPA")

def cb_altitude(altitude):
    # here, I would like to output from which bricklet the information came
	# since we do have two barometers connected, the output should somehow include the uid of the bricklet...?
    print("Altitude:             " + str(altitude/100.0) + " m")

if __name__ == "__main__":
    ipcon = IPConnection() # Create IP connection

# connect to the barometer bricklet(s)
	# if multiple devices with the same device-id are found, it should be done dynamically
	# f.e. for each barometer in barometers... something like that.
    b1 = BrickletBarometer(BARO_1_UID, ipcon)
    b2 = BrickletBarometer(BARO_2_UID, ipcon)

ipcon.connect(HOST, PORT) # Connect to brickd or to network attached device
    ipcon.register_callback(IPConnection.CALLBACK_ENUMERATE, cb_enumerate)
    ipcon.enumerate()

# register the callback(s) and set the callback period(s) for the barometer bricklet(s)
	# if multiple devices with the same device-id are found it should be done dynamically
	# f.e. for each barometer in barometers... something like that
    b1.register_callback(b1.CALLBACK_AIR_PRESSURE, cb_air_pressure)
    b2.register_callback(b2.CALLBACK_AIR_PRESSURE, cb_air_pressure)
    b1.register_callback(b1.CALLBACK_ALTITUDE, cb_altitude)
    b2.register_callback(b2.CALLBACK_ALTITUDE, cb_altitude)
    b1.set_air_pressure_callback_period(1000)
    b2.set_air_pressure_callback_period(1000)
    b1.set_altitude_callback_period(1000)
    b2.set_altitude_callback_period(1000)

I would like to know, if it is somehow possible to be a bit more dynamic with the detection of the connected bricklets?
For example, I have two barometers connected.

I would like to output the UID of the bricklet within the cb_air_pressure and cb_altitude into something like that:

def cb_air_pressure(air_pressure):   
    # something like that:
    print("Air Pressure " + UID + ": .....")

def cb_altitude(altitude):  
    # something like that:
    print("Altitude " + UID + ": .....")

Also, I am pretty sure that this can be reduced and somehow be done for each device recognized:

b1 = BrickletBarometer(BARO_1_UID, ipcon)
    b1.register_callback(b1.CALLBACK_AIR_PRESSURE, cb_air_pressure)
    b1.register_callback(b1.CALLBACK_ALTITUDE, cb_altitude)
    b1.set_air_pressure_callback_period(1000)
    b1.set_altitude_callback_period(1000)

b2 = BrickletBarometer(BARO_2_UID, ipcon)
    b2.register_callback(b2.CALLBACK_AIR_PRESSURE, cb_air_pressure)
    b2.register_callback(b2.CALLBACK_ALTITUDE, cb_altitude)
    b2.set_air_pressure_callback_period(1000)
    b2.set_altitude_callback_period(1000)

probably the syntax is not correct - but maybe, something like that:

foreach(uid in barometer_uids)
{
  b = BrickletBarometer(uid, ipcon)
  b.register....
  b.set......
}

from tinkerforge.ip_connection import IPConnection
from tinkerforge.bricklet_barometer import BrickletBarometer

HOST = "192.168.52.55"
PORT = 4215

ipcon = IPConnection()
devices = {}

def cb_air_pressure(uid, air_pressure):
    print(f"Air Pressure ({uid}):         {air_pressure / 1000} hPa")

def cb_altitude(uid, altitude):
    print(f"Altitude ({uid}):             {altitude / 100} m")

def cb_enumerate(uid, connected_uid, position, hardware_version, firmware_version,
                 device_identifier, enumeration_type):
    if enumeration_type == IPConnection.ENUMERATION_TYPE_DISCONNECTED:
        return

if device_identifier == BrickletBarometer.DEVICE_IDENTIFIER:
        device = BrickletBarometer(uid, ipcon)

device.register_callback(BrickletBarometer.CALLBACK_AIR_PRESSURE, lambda *args: cb_air_pressure(uid, *args))
        device.register_callback(BrickletBarometer.CALLBACK_ALTITUDE, lambda *args: cb_altitude(uid, *args))
        device.set_air_pressure_callback_period(1000)
        device.set_altitude_callback_period(1000)

devices[uid] = device

def main():
    ipcon.register_callback(IPConnection.CALLBACK_ENUMERATE, cb_enumerate)
    ipcon.connect(HOST, PORT)
    ipcon.enumerate()

input("Press Enter to exit\n")

if __name__ == "__main__":
    main()

a short progress - update :)

So far, the Software seems to work as expected...
It does enumerate through all devices connected to the master - and is using the callbacks for each sensor...
Since I want to recognize all possible devices, I need to implement the code for each brick and bricklet hardware - which is a lot of "copy & paste" work, since I haven't yet found another way to do this...

# every single device needs to be listed here... see imports for reference
    if enumeration_type == tf_main.IPConnection.ENUMERATION_TYPE_DISCONNECTED:
        return

if device_identifier == tf_main.BrickDC.DEVICE_IDENTIFIER:                   #   11
        device = tf_main.BrickDC(uid, tf_main.ipcon)
        device_work(device, device.DEVICE_DISPLAY_NAME, uid)
        # nothing to do, since I don't have a DC Brick for testing

elif device_identifier == tf_main.BrickMaster.DEVICE_IDENTIFIER:             #   13
        device = tf_main.BrickMaster(uid, tf_main.ipcon)

device.register_callback(device.CALLBACK_STACK_VOLTAGE, lambda *args: tf_callbacks.cb_stack_voltage(uid, *args))
        device.set_stack_voltage_callback_period(int(config.get('TINKERFORGE', 'CallbackPeriod')))

device.register_callback(device.CALLBACK_STACK_CURRENT, lambda *args: tf_callbacks.cb_stack_current(uid, *args))
        device.set_stack_current_callback_period(int(config.get('TINKERFORGE', 'CallbackPeriod')))     

elif device_identifier == tf_main.BrickServo.DEVICE_IDENTIFIER:              #   14
        device = tf_main.BrickServo(uid, tf_main.ipcon)

elif device_identifier == tf_main.BrickStepper.DEVICE_IDENTIFIER:            #   15
        device = tf_main.BrickStepper(uid, tf_main.ipcon)

elif device_identifier == tf_main.BrickRED.DEVICE_IDENTIFIER:                #   16
        device = tf_main.BrickRED(uid, tf_main.ipcon)
        '''
         RED Brick is depricated, due to delivery issues for ICs.
         Replacements are HAT / HAT Zero as well as RaspberryPi compatible devices
         There are several options to controll the Software running on the RED Brick:
         example: start_program(program_id) -> to start a specific program on the RED Brick
         example: continue_program_schedule(program_id)
         example: get_program_schedule(program_id)
         example: set_program_schedule(program_id)
        '''

elif device_identifier == tf_main.BrickIMU.DEVICE_IDENTIFIER:                #   17
        device = tf_main.BrickIMU(uid, tf_main.ipcon)

elif device_identifier == tf_main.BrickIMUV2.DEVICE_IDENTIFIER:              #   18
        device = tf_main.BrickIMUV2(uid, tf_main.ipcon)
        # replacement for the IMU 1.0...
        '''
        device.register_callback(device.CALLBACK_ALL_DATA)              # <-- getting all data periodically
        device.register_callback(device.CALLBACK_ACCELERATION)          # <-- getting only acceleration data
        device.register_callback(device.CALLBACK_ANGULAR_VELOCITY)      # <-- getting only angular velocity data
        device.register_callback(device.CALLBACK_GRAVITY_VECTOR)        # <-- getting only gravity data
        device.register_callback(device.CALLBACK_LINEAR_ACCELERATION)   # <-- getting only linear acceleration data
        device.register_callback(device.CALLBACK_MAGNETIC_FIELD)        # <-- getting only magnetic field data
        device.register_callback(device.CALLBACK_ORIENTATION)           # <-- getting only orientation data
        device.register_callback(device.CALLBACK_QUATERNION)            # <-- getting only quaternion data
        device.register_callback(device.CALLBACK_TEMPERATURE)           # <-- getting only temperature data

device.get_acceleration()   # <-- getting acceleration data (could be required for init)
        device.get_orientation()    # <-- getting orientation data (could be required for init)
        device.get_all_data()       # <-- getting all data (could be required for init)
        '''

elif device_identifier == tf_main.BrickSilentStepper.DEVICE_IDENTIFIER:      #   19
        device = tf_main.BrickSilentStepper(uid, tf_main.ipcon)
        '''
         replacement for the Stepper Brick...
         but do we need Stepper-Information in HomeAssistant?
         we could get some information such as position-reached but probably it won't be possible to controll the
         stepper motor with this software / through HomeAssistant (maybe, we can set some "modes" like)
         set target position / set current position (?) / configure the step-resolution... etc.
        '''

elif device_identifier == tf_main.BrickletAmbientLight.DEVICE_IDENTIFIER:    #   21
        device = tf_main.BrickletAmbientLight(uid, tf_main.ipcon)

init_illuminance = device.get_illuminance()
        print("Current Illumination (init): " + str(init_illuminance / 10) + " lx")

device.register_callback(device.CALLBACK_ILLUMINANCE, lambda *args: tf_callbacks.cb_illumination(uid, *args))
        device.set_illuminance_callback_period(int(config.get('TINKERFORGE', 'CallbackPeriod')))

elif device_identifier == tf_main.BrickletCurrent12.DEVICE_IDENTIFIER:       #   23
        device = tf_main.BrickletCurrent12(uid, tf_main.ipcon)

elif device_identifier == tf_main.BrickletCurrent25.DEVICE_IDENTIFIER:       #   24
        device = tf_main.BrickletCurrent25(uid, tf_main.ipcon)

elif device_identifier == tf_main.BrickletDistanceIR.DEVICE_IDENTIFIER:      #   25
        device = tf_main.BrickletDistanceIR(uid, tf_main.ipcon)

elif device_identifier == tf_main.BrickletDualRelay.DEVICE_IDENTIFIER:       #   26
        device = tf_main.BrickletDualRelay(uid, tf_main.ipcon)

elif device_identifier == tf_main.BrickletHumidity.DEVICE_IDENTIFIER:        #   27
        device = tf_main.BrickletHumidity(uid, tf_main.ipcon)

init_humidity = device.get_humidity()
        print("Current Humidity (init): " + str(init_humidity / 10) + " %RH")

device.register_callback(device.CALLBACK_HUMIDITY, lambda *args: tf_callbacks.cb_humidity(uid, *args))
        device.set_humidity_callback_period(int(config.get('TINKERFORGE', 'CallbackPeriod')))

# and so on - for each device that COULD be connected...

def device_work(device, device_display_name, uid):
    identifier = device.get_identity()
    hw_version = identifier[3]
    sw_version = identifier[4]
    print(f"{Fore.GREEN}Connected to: {device_display_name}  {Fore.RED}{uid}{Style.RESET_ALL}")
    tf_log.log_output_info(f"connected to {device_display_name} - {identifier}")
    print("Hardware-Version (" + uid + "): " + write_version(hw_version))
    print("Software-Version (" + uid + "): " + write_version(sw_version))

def write_version(version):
    version_no = str(version).replace(" ", "").replace("(", "").replace(")", "").replace(",",".")
    return version_no

The Console-Output for this initialisation:
image.thumb.png.61c470f597d323691ac0d77ce77977ac.png

after initializing and getting the current state of the sensors,
I am calling the different callbacks for each device - so the states are being updated when the state does change:

image.png.d6eb2997c1b6abdb6df71dd2b1e5b5e3.png

So - right now, I am working on the implementation to send these information over MQTT.
Since I want to use the HomeAssistants MQTT Autodiscovery function, I can't use the MQTT Bindings directly...
I have to change the topics and payload...

a first static test was working so far... The MQTT integration has detected a new device - the Barometer Bricklet from tinkerforge.
image.thumb.png.6b0921dde5820ab33953b1fbebb7bd93.png

This device is creating the sensor "AirPressure" - and delivers the Firmware and Hardware-Information until now.
image.png.2c0ec01b2aada17ebdc1175fd68737d1.png
I still need to implement the "State" Topic, so that the sensor will get the information ... and then, I need to change the code that this will be done dynamically for each device...
So, still some work to do... and I am still not sure if I can implement a way to receive information from HomeAssistant, since it would be required that homeassistant does know to which topic something needs to be sent... so this would still be a lot of "manual configuration work" in HA... until I could MAYBE build some kind of integration which does create the entities and send the topics to the software.

So, I think, this project can be somehow called a "brickviewer" for HomeAssistant (only viewer, atm)