HAT Brick: 5V power-supply without USB-connector but using additionally solded cable onto the HAT

yvo

Dear List

I have to use the 5V power-supply of the HAT Brick additionally to the 5-28V DC-input. But for constructive reasons (no available space), I cannot use an USB-connectors.

Question:

• Is there a possibility / location to sold a cable directly onto the HAT Brick?

With soldering directly a cable, I could use the additional power-supply (which I have to use for several reasons additionally to the 5-28V DC-input, see https://www.tinkerunity.org/topic/11345-hat-brick-und-strompi-3-mögliche-konflikte-bei-serieller-kommunikation-respektive-problem-bei-konfiguration-von-strompi-3/ ) even within the very small space available where the RPi and HAT are installed.

Looking forward to any ideas and suggestions.

Cheers,

Yvo

Dear batti

Thank you very much for the advice and pointing out the precise location. I had a look at the HAT itself, puhh, this is all pretty small. I guess, this will exceed my skills of soldering 😟

I re-checked the available space between the USB-socket and the case were the RPI and the HAT are located:

• There are 15mm available.

Using an USB-cable with a 90-degrees rotated plug, it should fit. See attached images.

Probably, buying such cables, cutting and just using the two power-wires will be easier than soldering an additional cable onto the board of the HAT.

Hope you agree.

Cheers,

Yvo

Plug.jpg

Scale.jpg

• 7 months later...

Dear all

Time is running. But I am currently implementing the proposed solution:

• Main power-supply of HAT and RPi through the HAT 28V power-connection using 20V to 25V battery-power.
  • Additional power-supply of HAT and RPi through the HAT USB-C 5V power-connection.

The main power-supply is connected to a hardware-switch. And the USB-C supply is connected through a IndustrialDualRelais.

At startup using the main-switch, a service defined at the RPi starts a PowerWatcher Python-application. The application immediately turns the 5V power-supply on.

During the runtime of the RPi, the PowerWatcher checks every second the power-input of the main power-supply of the HAT. If the current drops below the power provided by the battery (main-switch turn off by human), the PowerWatcher starts the shutdown-procedure.

The shutdown-procedure delays the cut of the 5V power-supply by a configured time. If the main-switch is turned on again by human, the shutdown-procedure stops.

As soon as the configured delay-time is reached, the PowerWatcher turns off the entire setup using

hat.set_sleep_mode(0, 2**32-1, True, True, False)

With turning off the bricklets as well, the 5V power-supply gets cut as well and the entire unit is without power-supply.

So far, it works.

A still open question is, how to use the function set_sleep_mode-function and a proper shutdown-command in combination. But I will ask this in a separat thread.

Cheers,

Yvo